Two Methods to Direct the Actor
In the Director Mode, you have two ways to direct the virtual actor in iClone like playing games. You
may also refer to the Director Mode Shortcuts for more information.
Hotkey (Keyboard Control)
You may use the WASD keys to move your actor just like you would play a computer game.
• W: Move Forward
S: Move Backward
A: Turn Left
D: Turn Right
X/Z: Toggle among different modes for moving.
• While holding W or S key, press A or D key to turn while walking.
• Shift + A: Slide to the Left
Shift + D: Slide to the Right
• Ctrl + Click Left Mouse Button on the ground to set the target location for the actor to walk to.
• Ctrl + Double Click Left Mouse Button on the ground to set the target location for the
character to run to.
• Ctrl + Click Left Mouse Button on the target object to trigger the default action. E.g. Ctrl +
click on a car, the currently selected actor gets into the car.
• Click the Right Mouse Button on the target actor to bring up the list of actions available for that
You may use the Number keys (1, 2, 3...) to start the actor's preset animations
Two Methods to Direct the iProp
In the Director Mode, you have two ways to direct an iProp in iClone. It is done in much the same way
as with Actors. You may also refer to the Director Mode Shortcuts for more information.
Hotkey (Keyboard Control)
You may use the WASD keys to move your iProp.
• W or Up Arrow: Move Forward
S or Down Arrow: Move Backward
A or Left Arrow: Turn Left
D or Right Arrow: Turn Right
E: Turn Down
Q: Turn Up
X: Toggle between different presets containing different movement animation clips.
• While holding the W or S key, press the A, D, E or Q key to turn during the move motion.
• Shift + A: Shift Left (only for certain types of vehicles)
Shift + D: Shift Right (only for certain types of vehicles)
Shift + E or Page Up: Ascend (only for certain types of vehicles)
Shift + Q or Page Down: Descend (only for certain types of vehicles)
• Use the Number keys (1, 2, 3...) to trigger pre-defined performance actions (if any are applied to
the selected iProp).
Mouse and Menu (Mouse Control)
• Ctrl + Double Click Left Mouse Button on the ground to set the target destination the iProp
should move to.
• Ctrl + Click Left Mouse Button on a target object to trigger the default action. E.g. Ctrl +
click on a car and the currently selected actor will start to get into the car.
• Click the right button of the mouse on a target iProp to bring up the action list from the
Each Actor or iProp can contain three types of animations: Move/Operate/Perform, which may be
triggered under different circumstances.
When you use the WASD keys in the Director Mode or the Right-click Menu/Move list in both
the Director Mode and the Editor Mode to direct the Actor or iProp to move, the selected animations
will be recorded into the Motion track.
IClone presents you with a brand new type of props: iProps. Each iProp contains built-in animation clips
that enables you to Perform Actions, Move Around or even allow your actor to Operate it.
Operating an iProp allows your target actor to interact directly with the iProp. For our example we will
take an iProp jeep to describe the way you use the iProp in your scenes.
If you want your actor to interact with the iProp using its default action, please follow the steps below:
1. Select the actor you want to use first.
2. Press and hold the Ctrl key and click on the target iProp.
The actor will then walk towards the iProp and start to interact with the iProp using the default animation.
Additional Interactions with iProp
If you want the actor to interact with the iProp using a different action, please follow the steps below. In
this example, the jeep is the target iProp and the man is the actor.
1. Drag and drop the jeep from the library.
2. Select the actor who is supposed to interact with the jeep.
Click the right mouse button on the jeep to pop up the right-click menu. Move your mouse over
the Operate entry.
4. Select the desired Operate function from the sub-menu.
5. The actor then automatically interacts with the jeep, performing your chosen action.
The actor walks to the jeep and opens the door. The actor gets into the jeep.